Get Help

For emergency financial assistance, please apply online:

Application for Rent, Water, and Gas Assistance

Application for Nashville Electric Service (NES) Assistance

How to Apply

You can apply online, in person, or by mail. If you are 75 or older or medically homebound, please call (615) 269-6835 to make arrangements.

Applying in Person

You may apply in person on Monday or Tuesday from 10 AM – 2 PM at our office inside of Westminster Presbyterian Church, located at 3900 West End Avenue, Nashville, TN 37205. Please park and enter the building on the WILSON BOULEVARD side of the church. As you face the church from West End Avenue, this is the street to the right of the church. You will see a sign that says Wilson Entrance with a NeedLink sign below. You will not be able to enter the building through any other entrance. Please reference pictures below to ensure you are at the correct entrance. Only during the hours of 10 AM to 2 PM on Mondays and Tuesdays, please ring the NeedLink doorbell and one of our staff members will let you in the building.

Front of office entrance Side of office entrance Map of office location

Applying Online

Our Online Application for Rent, Water, and Gas Assistance is open every Monday at 9 AM. It will remain open only until we have received the maximum amount of applications that may be processed in one week. We recommend applying as close to 9AM as possible. Our Online Application for Nashville Electric Service (NES) Assistance is open at all times.

Applying By Mail

Hard copies of applications will be located in a box outside of the Wilson Entrance of Westminster Presbyterian Church located at 3900 West End Avenue, Nashville, TN 37205 and can be mailed to our mailing address, P.O. Box 91107, Nashville, TN 37209.

Emergency Assistance Program FAQ

Q: Who can get help?

A: You may be eligible for assistance with a utility bill if you are a Davidson County resident or Nashville Electric Service customer and your water, gas or electricity is at risk of disconnection or has been disconnected. You may be eligible for rental assistance if you are a Davidson County resident with a past due rent balance and you reside in income-based housing (Section 8, MDHA, Urban Housing, etc.), and have a past due.

Q: Do you have funds?

A: NeedLink budgets carefully so that we never run out of funds completely. A committee meets each week to determine how many applicants we can help with the funding that is available.

Q: How long does it take to get help?

A: It may take up to 10-15 business days to receive an update on your application. All applicants will be notified as soon as possible once a decision has been made. Thank you for your patience.

Q: How do you decide who to help?

A: We have enough funding to help about 4 out of every 10 applicants. Our committee carefully considers each situation. Elderly people, those with life-threatening medical conditions, families with very young children, and people whose service has been disconnected are our highest priorities. We also consider your payment history, the amount of your bill, and your ability to maintain housing and utility services once you receive assistance.

Q: Other than availability of funding, are there reasons someone would not receive help?

A: We are unable to help in the following situations:

  • Your bill is very high.
  • There is an underlying issue, such as a water leak, that is not being resolved.
  • You have written a bad check that has not been paid off yet.
  • Your account has been marked for fraud or theft of service.
  • You provide incomplete or inaccurate information on your application.
  • You have an old balance on an inactive account or at an old address. (We may be able to help with a deposit once this is paid.)
  • You do not have a plan to pay the following month’s bill.
  • You or someone in your house has received help from NeedLink within the past 12 months.

Q: Can you pay a deposit?

A: Yes. If funding is available, we may be able to help with your deposit. You must be establishing service in your own name and must use the deposit within two weeks. All past-due balances must be paid before your deposit can be paid.

Deposits are primarily for utility services. However, if a small amount is keeping you from moving into income-based housing, we may be able to assist with your deposit or help you locate resources.